Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The force of nature

I saw an article on CNN's website yesterday about how premenopausal and menopausal women gain weight in their belly even if they've always been thin. Great. Just great. Here I am trying to LOSE all my "we don't eat nothin' but gravy and fried stuff" weight that I've gained since moving to KY over a decade ago, and now I've got Mother Nature and hormones working against me as well. Title of the article was something like, "How Not To Look Matronly."

Like my former DU roomdog said, dear God, I HOPE I don't look matronly. I know I don't look 18, but then I never looked like much at 18 to begin with. Matronly to me says that I am wearing items that make people think of religious sects in Texas. I don't think I've gone that far in my wardrobe choices yet.

But alas, I AM guilty of having "mom jeans" in my closet. The high-waisted, "comfort fit" Lee variety. I do have some lower-waisted jeans as well, but find that I'm constantly pulling them back up OVER my premenopausal belly fat.

This is all probably more than any of you need, or want to know. I'll just go get on my treadmill now, as soon as I throw all my June Cleaver dresses in the consignment box.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, fifty's nifty, but fifty-three is even better, and I'm looking forward to fifty-five! I'm through menopause - hooray - it's been more than a year. Don't think I came through it unscathed, though - depression, really bad job situation, surrounded by negative people - but I survived and now have a great job with much less stress and I'm happy. Hard to tell how much of my life weirdness was related to menopause and how much to the circumstances of my job, but it's great being on the other side. Despite health issues, being older is freeing - and in one year and nine months I will be retired and on to another stage of life - not exactly a new career, but I see myself doing a variety of odd jobs (driver for car dealerships? traveling astrologer? eBay queen? or all of the above?) Oh, and that belly fat thing? Yep, fact of life. I'm just going to have to live with looking matronly, I guess. Kmart has a bunch of cool camp shirts that I wear un-tucked over khakis - comfy, not too unflattering, and that's maybe the best I can hope for now. Best part - I don't really care! I dress to please ME!

Hang in there - there is life on the other side of 50!